Sunday, May 07, 2006

The A-Z Meme

Oy. Tagged again, this time by Ra'anana Ramblings. Here we go...

Accent: When I speak English, I've got an American accent. When I speak Hebrew, it's mostly an Israeli accent (after a lot of practice!), but I'll never get those "reshes" quite right!

Booze: I like anything that doesn't taste like alcohol! Baccardi Breezers, liquers, wine coolers (remember those?), etc. Favorite drink has always been the Amaretto Sour.

Chore I Hate: I don't even know where to begin with this one! I suppose I could say helping my husband file business and household paperwork. I dread it!

Dogs/Cats: Dogs. Definitely dogs (sorry, Cathy!). Ours is 14 years old!

Essential Electronics: The more the merrier!

Favorite Perfume/Cologne: Don't wear any. Don't like any. Don't know any.

Gold/Silver: Silver.

Hometown: Northeast Bumblefuck, USA.

Insomnia: Sometimes.

Job Title: Mommy and Technical Writer.

Kids: 2 (1 living, 1 deceased)

Living Arrangements: Penthouse apartment.

Most Admired Trait: Errr... I'm not very good at questions like this one, but NRG has demanded thoughtfully suggested the following:

Sense of humor
Undying and unwavering loyalty and support to friends

To which I responded:

See, you could write those things about me, but if I did it, it would sound cheesy.

To which she retorted:

No, not cheesy... honest... you never have been one to toot your own horn, have you? You can fill it in and say that others answered for you!

Which is essentially what I've done...

Number of sexual partners: Hey, none of your business, you nosy people! :-)

Overnight Hospital Stays: Far too many!

Phobia: Heights, public speaking

Quote: Courage is facing the fear and then doing it anyway...

Religion: Jewish atheist.

Siblings: 1

Time I usually wake up: Between 6 and 6:30 during the week, hopefully later on the weekends, depending on the little one.

Unusual Talent: Nothing comes to mind (I'm not terribly talented. Sorry!)

Actually, NRG just pointed out (it's been a rather lengthy exchange...) that I'm a whiz at online medical research. I suppose that's unusual...

Vegetable I refuse to eat: Beets in any shape or form.

Worst Habit: I'm a serious procrastinator!

X-Rays: Many.

Yummy Foods I make: Salmon, Ghormeh Sabzi, Steak and Guinness Pie, Crab Cakes. Not much of a cook, I'm afraid.

Zodiac Sign: Gemini.

Instead of actually tagging specific people this time, I'm just going to throw out a general invite for anyone who feels like answering, whether it be on their own blogs or here in the comments section. Go for it, people!

10 comments:

JJ said...

"Hometown: Northeast Bumblefuck, USA."

LOL!!! I've heard of Bumblefuck, Missouri (from "Rainman") but not YOUR Bumblefuck- sounds grim!

Oh, and "Jewish Atheist" sounds like a great blog name LOL

Anonymous said...

No beets?!?
I just got back from Scotland, where I had a packet of beet crisps (chips) - like potato crisps, but from beets. They were yummy!
I bet you would have liked them (especially if you didn't know what they were made of...)

Anonymous said...

I got tagged a million times this month too! Nice to see someone else is just extending the general invite now. Keep up the good work!

The Miner said...

oh, tagged again! however that was so interesting.

lisoosh said...

I can do "resh" and "chet" to perfection but don't ask me to produce a perfect "ayn" especially in the middle of a word.
The "kids" bit made me sad, I am so sorry.
Pickled beets are awsome.
I am a Libra! Another air sign! That is why we click online.
Nicole - grew up in Scotland, where did you visit?

Laila K said...

is there really a place called "bumblefuck"?! wow :)
thanks for stopping by and i will be back!

Liza said...

rr: While not one of those really remote towns with less than 1000 people or something, it was definitely small-town, with not much to offer as far as extracurricular activities. A great place to raise kids. I had a good childhood there, but can't imagine living there as an adult.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a "Jewish Atheist" already blogging out there somewhere. The blogosphere's a big place!

nicole: No beets. Definitely no beets. The color repulses me - it's a color for flowers or clothing, not food. I'd probably have eaten the crisps regardless, if they weren't the color of beets, though I generally try to stay away from stuff like that.

nihao: Welcome to something something! I keep getting tagged too, and while I (usually) enjoy the exercise, I always feel guilty tagging others, and it's harder to come up with people to tag than it is to actually do the writing! I figured this was a good way out.

yael k: When's your birthday? Mine's June 5th.

I've never even tried borscht. It's too scary looking! That color doesn't work for me as a food product.

the miner: I get tagged a lot, but I enjoy it, so I don't mind. I liked your answers on your blog as well!

lisoosh: I can sort of do a resh (in other words, I don't sound American, but not truly Israeli, either). My chet isn't the guttoral one, and same goes for the ayin, but hey, I'm Ashkenazi, and nobody would expect me to be able to pronounce those properly anyway, even if I was a native speaker!

I'm no astrology expert, so I'll have to take your word for it. :-) My best friend is also a Libra though, so perhaps there's truth to what you say.

Pickled beets? Blech. Big fat BLECH!

As far as the "kids" part, it was a number of years ago, so while the issue is always there somewhere, it's not always at the forefront. Still, to say one kid would be the easy way out, I'd feel like I was lying, or denying the existence of our first child or something. When people ask in casual small talk, I say one. It's not a secret, but it's a matter of deciding for each situation how much information is too much information. Here, I'm being honest, and I'm going on the assumption that if people are here, reading what I write (and returning on numerous occasions), then I should be honest.

laila: Welcome to something something! No, it's not a real place - Americans would never be that liberal (it goes against every fiber of their being). It just signifies that it's a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Glad you like what you see, and hope to "see" you again, both here and on your blog.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for making those very necessary changes! :-)

By the way, I love beets... especially pickled!! :-)

You're all totally grossed out now, aren't you?

Anonymous said...

Oh, wait, lisoosh was also a pickled beet fan... maybe it's a Libra thing...

Charles Malik said...

People often don't think I have an American accent, even though I grew up in the US. They think I have a slightly British accent (I don't, but I have good diction).

In Arabic, I can pull off a completely Lebanese accent for a very, very short time, after which it's easy to detect the effect of English.