Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Help me! I'm melting!

A constant source of interest among bloggers is visitor statistics. We like to know who are readers are, where they're from, and how they found us. In my case, many of my visitors find me while performing a Google search for one term or another. Sometimes the search terms are unusual (I had a hit for "underwear parade" earlier today), and many border on lewd or even outright perverse in nature. Many people want to know more about potty training, especially as it pertains to little boys. It would also seem that many people are making travel plans to Amsterdam, as I frequently receive visitors searching for touring suggestions in this fabulous city. I get a lot of hits from people looking for information on pregnancy and fertility-related subjects (and interestingly enough, the overwhelming majority of these hits originate in India, which leads me to wonder about the availability of pregnancy-related literature in this vast, fascinating country), to the point where I've considered creating a page or blog entry that consists almost solely of helpful pregnancy and fertility links. I hope to get to this little project as soon as I have some free time on my hands (one of these years...).

If I had to pick the single topic that draws the greatest number of visitors, it would probably be music, and 80s music in particular. People are always searching for their favorite songs and artists, not to mention quirky bits of song and artist-related trivia (the terms "Nena hairy armpits" pop up more frequently than I'd have imagined...). I get a tremendous number of hits from people looking for songs using random song lyrics. Sometimes, the lyrics are spot on, and other times, I'm rather surprised that the correct song was actually found, given how far off the mark the person's guess was, in comparison to the actual lyrics. Occasionally, I just stare at the line of text, wondering how someone decided to search using those specific terms (such as the recent searches for the term "Diggy dang diggy diggy".

Of course, we all know how hard it can be to understand the lyrics of some songs, and can't help but smile once we discover what the actual lyrics are. I've gotten some doozies since I started, but none of them even come close to the one I discovered in my stats this morning. Back in May, I wrote an 80s Music Video Sunday entry featuring the song "I Melt with You", by Modern English, a rather catchy tune, and to be honest, I've never considered the lyrics to be all that unintelligible. Maybe I couldn't pick up every word, but I wouldn't have had any outrageous misunderstandings (and certainly none with any potentially anti-Semitic undertones...), which is why the water I was drinking almost shot out my nose when I noticed that someone had come across my blog by searching for "I'll stop the world and melt the jews".

Ummmm... Yeah... Exactly...

Somewhere in The Bronx right now, sits an individual who (I hope) is utterly astonished at having gotten this one so, so wrong.

5 comments:

Benji Lovitt said...

Might want to check out this site:
http://www.kissthisguy.com

the dame said...

Oh. My. Word. How freakish and disturbing. I have gotten some wierd google searched myself but THAT one takes the cake.

When my younger sister was a preteen, she was fascinated by misheard lyrics. There was a series of books about incorrect lyrics and she wrote to them about one SHE had experienced: Instead of "All we are saying is give peace a chance," she had thought the iconic war protest song went along the lines of, "Oh we are sailing, Give Jesus pants!"

The company printed it in their next edition complete with an illustration of two people in a boat handing a bearded guy (walking on the water next to the boat) a pair of pants.

JJ said...

"Melt the Jews"- LOL!!! Come to think of it, it HAS been rather hot lately!

The Miner said...

I think you should cook Ghorme-sabzee ! :)

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

I second the ghorma-sabzee comment (yum!).

But really, that is just so horrible and disturbing about that search. What is wrong with people? Psychiatric help needed immediately for that person in the bronx.......