Sunday, January 21, 2007

80s Music Video Sunday #7

I'm still a bit sick and not feeling terribly creative, but it is Sunday, so 80s Music Video Sunday must be dealt with. I had a request from fellow blogger RR (and we are still in the process of establishing whether or not she and I are actually the same person, given the remarkable similarities in our personalities, tastes, etc…) for something American (or perhaps she was simply wondering when I would showcase something from the old country), so today's entry features a performer who, in my mind is about as American as they come. It actually came down to two performers who fit into this category, both of whom, I really, really enjoy. I've selected one of them, but the other one will surely be chosen at some point, as his songs are about as classic American rock and roll as they come...

I've always been an avid reader, which meant that a great deal of my youth was spent at our local public library. In addition to the wonderful selection of books, they also had a fabulous music collection, and it was from there that I borrowed my first Billy Joel album – Glass Houses, if memory serves me correctly. Like most of his albums, Glass Houses contained a number of hit songs, including "Just the Way You Are", "Honesty", and "You May Be Right". My absolute favorite song from that album, which was released in 1980, is the song that I've chosen for today. I can remember listening to it over and over again on the record player, repeatedly borrowing that album from the library. If you haven't guessed it by now, the classic hit I'm referring to is "It's Still Rock & Roll to Me". Enjoy!



It's Still Rock & Roll to Me
Billy Joel
(Lyrics courtesy of billyjoel.com)

What's the matter with the clothes I'm wearing?
"Can't you tell that your tie's too wide?"
Maybe I should buy some old tab collars?
"Welcome back to the age of jive
Where have you been hidin' out lately, honey?
You can't dress trashy till you spend a lot of money"
Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound
Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me

What's the matter with the car I'm driving?
"Can't you tell that it's out of style?"
Should I get a set of white wall tires?
"Are you gonna cruise a miracle mile?
Nowadays you can't be too sentimental
You best bet's a true baby blue Continental"
Hot funk, cool punk, even if it's old junk
It's still rock and roll to me

Oh, it doesn't matter what they say in the papers
'Cause it's always been the same old scene
There's a new band in town
But you can't get the sound from a story in a magazine...
Aimed at your average teen

How about a pair of pink sidewinders
And a bright orange pair of pants?
"You could really be a Beau Brummel baby
If you just give it half a chance
Don't waste your money on a new set of speakers
You get more mileage from a cheap pair of sneakers"
Next phase, new wave , dance craze, anyways
It's still rock and roll to me

What's the matter with the crowd I'm seeing?
"Don't you know that their out of touch?"
Should I try to be a straight 'A' student?
"If you are then you think too much
Don't you know about the new fashion honey?
All you need are looks and a whole lotta money"
It's the next phase, new wave , dance craze, anyways
It's still rock and roll to me
Everybody's talkin' 'bout the new sound
Funny, but it's still rock and roll to me

9 comments:

tafka PP said...

Feel better: And don't go changing- we love you just the way you are... ;-)

(I was 4 when this song was released. Let's not dwell, shall we)

JJ said...

Your second guess was correct- I wasn't especially hankering for something from the old country, but I WAS curious as to what your first American pick would be- and this is a good one!

Until I read the lyrics just now, I never understood why he was singing "Everybody's talkin' bout the new sound funny"- I feel so silly now that I see "Funny" is the first word of the next line! D'oh!

As to whether we're the same person- just wait til we have our first political tiff- then all will become clear! :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Life Out East said...

Never really got into Billy Joel. Quite like what I've heard but can't stand the sound of that bloody terrible "Uptown Girl". Arghhh!! Piano Man was a classic!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
lisoosh said...

I was going to post about Billy Joel and then read the two above anonymous comments. That is one very sick individual, I hope he is getting some help.
You should track back the IP address, you can usually find out who they are, or at least where they live or work.

tafka PP said...

Lisoosh from the writing style I think it's the same lovely who called you an "ilk" last time around... - Maybe s/he meant "elk"?

Liza- hope the comment moderation is indeed temporary.

Anonymous said...

Great song!