Sunday, December 10, 2006

Introducing 80s Music Video Sunday

For as long as I can remember, I have been a fan of The Beatles. I had albums, singles, and photographs, as well as a funky, velvety poster on the back of my bedroom door, which remained there (along with the a-ha poster over the bed) until my parents moved house last year. Even when I was in elementary school, my account name for our school district's computer network was "Ringo", after Ringo Starr. I watched the movies, read books about The Beatles – anything I could get my hands on, really. I even knew the names of earlier band members like Stuart Sutcliffe (who left the band to pursue an art career, and then tragically passed away from a cerebral hemmorhage in 1962) and Pete Best (who was later replaced by Ringo Starr). And of course, like most other Beatles fans, I was stunned when I heard about John Lennon's murder, even though I was only 12 years old at the time. I don't remember whether or not I cried, though I remember being very sad.

Shortly after the murder, which occurred 26 years ago this past Friday, a new John Lennon song began to receive very heavy airplay. "(Just Like) Starting Over" was released on October 9th – John's birthday, just two months prior to the shooting. I believe I've still got the single somewhere, even though I don't own a record player anymore. Whenever I hear the song, it reminds me of that sad period following his death.

I've decided to start a new, weekly feature here at Something Something. Every Sunday (starting today!) will be 80s Music Video Sunday, and each week I'll be sharing one of my favorite oldies, along with my usual chatty commentary, blasting us all back to the past, when music was fab and hair and clothing much less so. This week's selected music video has been chosen to honor the memory of the incredibly talented John Lennon, whose senseless murder shook up our world and chipped away at my 12 year-old innocence. This song isn't necessarily one that reminds you of the 80s genre, but it seemed rather appropriate as we mark the anniversary of Lennon's death.



The lyrics (courtesy of Lyrics Domain)...

(Just Like) Starting Over

by John Lennon

Our life together is so precious together,
We have grown - we have grown,
Although our love is still special,
Let's take our chance and fly away somewhere alone.

It's been so long since we took the time,
No-one's to blame,
I know time flies so quickly,
But when I see you darling,
It's like we both are falling in love again,
It'll be just like starting over - starting over.

Everyday we used to make it love,
Why can't we be making love nice and easy,
It's time to spread our wing's and fly,
Don't let another day go by my love,
It'll be just like starting over - starting over.

Why don't we take off alone,
Take a trip far, far away,
We'll be together on our own again,
Like we used to in the early days.

Well, well, well darling,
It's been so long since we took the time,
No-one's to blame,
I know time flies so quickly,
But when I see you darling,
It's like we both are falling in love again,
It'll be just like starting over - starting over.

Everyday we used to make it love,
Why can't we be making love nice and easy,
It's time to spread our wing's and fly,
Don't let another day go by my love,
It'll be just like starting over - starting over.

Our life together is so precious together,
We have grown - we have grown,
Although our love is still special,
Let's take our chance and fly away somewhere alone.

7 comments:

lisoosh said...

I always liked Paul as a kid, although later George (a more mature taste perhaps).

Anonymous said...

Got to say that Lennon was always my favourite, followed by Paul. Starting your new series with such a talent as Lennon is going to be a hard act to follow. Who will be next?

Anonymous said...

nice song to start my day with. thanks!

Anonymous said...

I hate blogger Beta. Instead of my usual screen name it wants to use my real name in the comments. I have to go in via Other.

JJ said...

What a great idea for a weekly feature! You know I'm an 80s gal, too, and I'm looking forward to all those blasts from the past. Kol hakavod! And "Starting Over" really takes me back- I remember when John was killed, it was such a shock.

It's funny you should mention The Beatles, because I was just

JJ said...

Blogger beta is driving me crazy too- it would not let me comment- not with my blogger id, not as other, not even as anonymous. I had to open a Google account before it would accept my comment.

And then it cut off 1/2 my comment! I'd better keep this short or it'll do it again :-(

Anonymous said...

What is the message after the song restarts? All I have is "every night, Let us pray" its driving me crazy! maybe you know?